EPIC India is seeking a full-time Senior Research Manager to execute innovative ideas related to energy and environmental policy, manage small research and field teams, and play an instrumental role in developing and expanding its pipeline of applied economics research projects. This position offers the candidate an opportunity to work closely with EPIC India-affiliated researchers on important research projects.
The ideal candidate possesses a mix of economics, analytical, interpersonal & communications skills and is passionate about working with cross-functional groups to drive large-scale impact in the energy and environment sector.
About the Trust
The University of Chicago Trust (the Trust) is a charitable trust in India, established in 2008 by alumnus of The University of Chicago. The objectives of the UChicago Trust are to provide opportunities for grants to support educational programs, research programs and activities for the betterment of India.
India faces the dual challenge of rapidly improving living standards—through sustained economic growth and expanded access to reliable and affordable energy—while simultaneously reducing pollution for a cleaner and healthier environment. EPIC India researchers work hand-in-hand with government and industry partners to identify innovative ideas, pilot them on the ground, and rigorously measure outcomes.
EPIC India is seeking a full-time Senior Research Manager to execute innovative ideas related to energy and environmental policy, manage small research and field teams, and play an instrumental role in developing and expanding its pipeline of applied economics research projects. This position offers the candidate an opportunity to work closely with EPIC India affiliated researchers on important research projects.
The ideal candidate possesses a mix of economics, analytical, interpersonal & communications skills and is passionate about working with cross-functional groups to drive large-scale impact in energy and environment sector.
- Research Support: The position will work closely with Principal Investigators and local research teams to drive project planning and support (including but not limited to) providing guidance on research design, field planning, data collection, data management, power calculations, and preliminary analysis.
- Stakeholder management: The Research Manager will communicate (both in writing (incl. presentations) and speaking) effectively with internal and external stakeholders to drive progress on EPIC-India’s research projects. Research Manager will assist their vertical head in driving existing and generating new high value research partnerships.
- People Management: The Research Manager will manage and mentor junior staff members including Interns, Research and Senior Research Associates. The manager will support their teams and PIs in all areas of project execution, maintaining integrity of research design and generating high-quality research outputs.
- Research Manager will assist in preparation of detailed budgets and work plans in coordination with operations team and PIs, and make sure project activities are aligned with project budgets
- The position will lead or assist in writing technical proposals, donor deliverables, work on budgets and work plans, be responsible for ethical compliance on the research projects and will be overall responsible to drive forward different workstreams independently
- Support EPIC India on other research, policy and communication related-tasks as needed, or as assigned by EPIC India’s senior leadership.
- MPP, MBA, or master’s degree in development field related field
- Minimum 4 years of work experience in a role with project-based assignments, with substantial client-facing components/ experience in monitoring and evaluation projects, and at least 1 year of direct project management experience
- Experience managing and supervising junior staff members
- Fluent in English and Hindi
- Experience in social science or economic field research or experience conducting field research in developing countries
- Strong track record of outstanding academic/ professional performance
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- High degree of ownership and ability to drive forward workstreams, independently
- Attention to detail and ability to execute patiently, and diligently
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player
- Strong communication, and presentation skills