University of Chicago Trust India is seeking a full-time Data Analyst who will be responsible for analyzing large datasets extracting insights from complex data sets and providing data-driven recommendations for improving development initiatives and programs in the state (Odisha). Their work will play a crucial role in shaping evidence-based decision-making, optimizing resource allocation, and driving a positive impact on the state’s policies.
About the Trust
The University of Chicago Trust (the Trust) is a charitable trust in India, established in 2008 by alumnus of The University of Chicago. The objectives of the Trust’s objectives are to provide opportunities for grants to support educational programs, research programs and activities for the betterment of India.
About the Unit
Data, Policy, and Innovation Centre (DPIC) is a 5-year strategic collaboration between GoOdisha and University of Chicago Trust (UCT), India. The Centre, funded by the Government of Odisha (GoOdisha) and housed at the E&IT Department, will enable rigorous, evidence-based governance, using new advances in econometrics, data-science, and machine learning. The Centre will carry out research, monitoring & impact evaluation, and project implementation in the sectors of Energy and Environment, Health, Education, Agriculture, and Water & Sanitation. In addition, the Centre will create a of hub for modern data analysis, that will focus on the use of data to improve the decision-making process in the state of Odisha and lend support by providing insights in effectiveness of existing programs and suggesting changes to achieve objectives of the government.
University of Chicago Trust India is seeking a full-time Data Analyst who will be responsible for analysing large datasets and extracting insights from complex data sets and provide data-driven recommendations for improving development initiatives and programs in the state (Odisha). Their work will play a crucial role in shaping evidence-based decision-making, optimizing resource allocation, and driving positive impact for state’s policies.
- Data Directory and Collection: Collaborate closely with interdisciplinary teams, including faculty, researchers, and research managers, as well as various departments within GoOdisha in identifying existing datasets, cataloguing them, and help in building a repository/ hub for modern data analysis.
- Data Analysis and Interpretation: Apply advanced statistical techniques and machine learning algorithms to analyse large and complex datasets, extract meaningful insights, and identify relevant trends and patterns.
- Data Modelling and Predictive Analytics: Develop predictive models and algorithms to forecast key indicators and trends, enabling proactive decision-making and resource optimization for various programs.
- Data Visualization and Reporting: Present analyzed results and insights through clear and appealing data visualizations, reports, and dashboards to facilitate understanding and decision-making by stakeholders.
- Building Data Hub Website Wireframe in close coordination with faculty and DPIC Management. End- to-End support in developing the DPIC website and coordinating all activities with the website developers to design and integrate analytics.
- Data Quality Assurance: Conduct data cleaning, validation, to ensure data accuracy, consistency, and integrity. Apply quality control measures to improve data quality and resolve any discrepancies or anomalies.
- Ethical Data Handling: Ensure compliance with data user agreements and guidelines, safeguarding the privacy and confidentiality of sensitive data throughout the data lifecycle.
- Maintaining relationship with partner organizations at both headquarters and field levels.
- Any other task as assigned by the line manager and/or the senior management of DPIC.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in data science, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or a related field. A focus on development studies or economics is a plus.
- 2-3 years of proven experience as a Data Analyst, preferably within the development sector or related fields.
- Ability to design secure, well-architected systems based on project requirements.
- Ability to analyze situations at the system level or from a broader perspective.
- Outstanding partner management, follow-through, resourcefulness, attention to detail, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in statistical analysis, data mining, machine learning, and predictive modeling techniques.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Python or R for data analysis and visualization.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to translate complex data into actionable insights.
- Strong communication skills to effectively convey technical findings to non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to work collaboratively in interdisciplinary teams and adapt to evolving project requirements.
- Passion for the development sector and a commitment to making a positive impact.
- Fluent in English (written and oral)
- Strong understanding of databases, SQL, and data manipulation techniques.
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau, Power BI
- Familiarity with cloud platforms and big data technologies (e.g., AWS) is desirable.
- Working knowledge of Oriya and /or Hindi
Applicant must be legally authorized to work in India.
Interested candidates can apply using this link.